Registration is now open for the OBX U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary “Boat America” boating safety course that will be held February 25, 2023 at the Southern Shores Volunteer Fire Department from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
This course satisfies North Carolina boat operator education requirements and includes the following topics:
- Introduction to Boating – Types of boats, engines, boating terms, sailboats, paddle craft, powerboats.
- Boating Law – Boat registration, regulations, hull identification numbers, required safety equipment, Federal boating law, state boating law, and reporting accidents.
- Safety Equipment – Life jackets, fire extinguishers, sound-producing devices, visual distress signals, anchors, and other safety equipment.
- Safe Operation and Navigation – Buoys and beacons, aids to navigation, navigation rules, docking, and the dangers of alcohol on the water.
- Boating Emergencies – Hypothermia, boating accidents, man overboard, capsizing, emergency radio calls, carbon monoxide dangers, and weather.
- Trailering – Types of trailers, lights, hitches, towing a trailer.
- Sports and Boating – Water-skiing, hunting and hunting gear, PWC operation, and other boating tips.
All classes are taught by certified Coast Guard Auxiliary Instructors. Tuition is $35 for the 1st family member, $25 for each additional family member, and includes all materials.
To register, please visit https://wow.uscgaux.info/content.php?unit=054-16-07&category=abs-form.