Registration is now open for the OBX U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary “Boating Skills and Seamanship Course” course that will be held January 24, 26, 31 and February 2, 7, 9, 2023 from 6 to 9 p.m. at the Southern Shores Fire Department.
If you are serious about boating as an owner, worker, visitor of a boat owner, or just want to be comfortable aboard a vessel and learn more in-depth information, this is the class for you! The U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary’s Boating Skills and Seamanship course is a comprehensive course designed for both the experienced and the novice boater.
The course consists of 6 three-hour lessons with in-depth knowledge on boating skills, such as:
- The language of boating and being on the water
- Boats, their designs, equipment, and legal requirements
- Legal Considerations
- Where you boat and things to consider
- Boat Handling; In the Water, On a Trailer, and PWC’s
- Navigation, Rules of the Road, and the Law
- Knots and other things you really should know
- Electronics for your Boat (Navigation, Communication and Operation)
- Safety & Security
- Visitors, Liveaboard, and other essential items to know
Tuition is $50 for 1st family member, $35 for each additional family member and includes all materials.
The Southern Shores Fire Department is located at 15 S. Dogwood Trail, Southern Shores, NC