Gov. Roy Cooper on Friday issued a stay-at-home order for all of North Carolina beginning Monday at 5 p.m.
The order requires all North Carolinians to stay at home unless they must go out for essentials or work. It also requires people to stay at least six feet away from each other.
“It’s what we have to do to save lives,” Cooper said at a 4 p.m. news conference.
At of Friday, the state counted 763 cases of coronavirus in at least 60 counties, with three deaths.
“North Carolina is now considered by the Centers for Disease Control to have widespread transmission,” Cooper said. “Because no one is immune, because there is no vaccination, the best scientifically proven tool we have to slow the spread is to keep our distance.”
Cooper said he understands the order will cause further hardships for many of the state’s workers, and said the first round of unemployment benefits in North Carolina will go out next week.
The governor’s executive order follows a Dare County announcement earlier in the day ordering a stay-home order beginning at 5 p.m. Saturday.
Stay with OBXToday.com for exact details on the order later today.
This story originally appeared on OBXToday.com. Read More local stories here.