Dare County Schools have suspended all travel outside their districts indefinitely, joining other school systems in the region that have made similar decisions in response to the COVID-19 coronavirus global pandemic.
Superintendent John Farrelly said in an email Thursday afternoon the travel ban includes all field trips, meetings and professional development.
“Thank you for your support of our efforts to be proactive in mitigating potential impacts in our communities,” Farlley said.
Earlier in the day, Elizabeth City-Pasquotank Public Schools announced they were instituting the same travel restrictions.
The move comes just hours after the North Carolina High School Athletic Association announced all practices and games for high school teams were being suspended across the state beginning this Saturday and lasting until at least April 6.
The school system will be posting a COVID-19 resource and support site at DareToLearn.org on Friday.
This story originally appeared on OBXToday.com. Read More local stories here.